Skip to content

Home improvements and alterations

Find out what's involved if you're planning alterations to your home.

What alterations can be made?

You're able to decorate and make cosmetic improvements to your home. This includes plastering, redecoration, internal doors (unless you live in an apartment block), putting up shelves, replacing broken window glass and getting new appliances. 

For some works the terms of your lease or freehold transfer require that you obtain the Landlord’s Consent before commencing any work. Examples of the types of work that requiring that consent are, but not limited to:

  • Structural changes or work to the outside of your home.
  • Anything that affects your water, gas or electric supplies such as a new boiler, moving a flue, new electrical sockets etc.
  • Reconfiguring your kitchen or bathroom.
  • Fitting new windows, external doors or your front door.
  • Fitting laminate, wood or tiled flooring.

We charge a non-refundable administration fee for reviewing and progressing your alteration request. You may also be liable for additional costs of surveyors and solicitors. You'll find a summary of fees on our service charges, fees and rent page.

It's important to get our permission before you make any changes. You could be in breach of your lease or transfer agreement if you don't. It might prevent you from being able to sell or secure a mortgage on your home.

Freeholders should check the terms of your transfer agreement for particular details that may have an impact on your plans. Guidance on applying for planning permission can be found at

Apply for consent

You can apply online. You'll be asked to provide details including:

  • Plans and drawings for the improvements you intend to make.
  • Disclosure of any planning permission or building regulations required.
  • Contact information of building contractors you intend to use, along with evidence of their level of insurance.
  • Evidence of consent from neighbours (party wall agreement).

To help you prepare your application [read our FAQs] - the checklist at the top of this page will also help.