Skip to content

Valuation FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about selling your shared ownership home.

How do I value my property?

Before spending money on a valuation report, look on websites such as Zoopla and Rightmove to get a rough idea of your home's value.

Get independent advice

Each situation is individual, and we recommend you find someone with particular experience of shared ownership.

Our panel of mortgage advisors, surveyors and solicitors have lots of experience in the shared ownership market. They also have unique experience of our developments.

View our panel professionals

Your valuation will only be valid for three months. If you don’t complete your requirement by then, you’ll need to pay for an updated one.

Should your post code not be covered by the surveyors on our panel you can visit the RICS website to find an independent RICS-registered surveyor in your area. They'll need to ensure the report provides the following information:

  • Confirmation that the report is a market valuation for the purpose of staircasing through Clarion Housing, Level 6, 6 More London Place, Tooley Street, London, SE1 2DA.
  • Confirmation that Clarion Housing Group can rely upon the contents of the report.
  • Evidence of at least three comparable properties detailing the full address, sold price and date.
  • If you have carried out home improvements, the report must include two figures; one figure with home improvements and one figure excluding home improvements.
  • Confirmation that valuation will remain valid for three months from the date of report.

If you're selling your shared ownership home: A RICS-accredited valuation is required with your resale instruction. Find out more on our Selling your shared ownership home FAQs page.

If you're staircasing your shared ownership home: Before you submit your staircasing instruction you'll need to check your lease for details and also value your home. A RICS-accredited valuation is required with your instruction. Find out more on our Staircasing FAQs page.

All leaseholders - if you're extending your lease: Shared ownership leaseholders don't have a legal right to extend their leases. However we wish to give our shared owners the same choice as 100% lease owners and offer an 'informal' route. For outright leaseholders we offer both the statutory (or ‘formal’) route to lease extension as well as our own ‘informal’ procedure.

For this process it's us who will instruct an external RICS surveyor to obtain a premium. Leaseholders are responsible for costs. Find out more on our Home ownership page.

All leaseholders - if you're remortgaging: Shared owners require consent to remortgage until you staircase to 100% ownership. The other purchase options require our consent to remortgage within the first five years of ownership. 

If you're a leaseholder who otherwise owns your apartment/property in full, or if you own your freehold, you don't require landlord consent from us to remortgage. Although some lenders may want it in some circumstances.

You'll need to get a valuation in order to get a new mortgage offer, or key facts illustration, which we'll require with your remortgage application. Find out more on our Home ownership page.

View our administration fees table

Valuations FAQs