Skip to content

Staircasing FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about staircasing - buying more shares in your shared ownership home.

What costs and fees will I need to pay on staircasing?

When you buy more shares in your home, you’ll be responsible for the following costs and fees.

Valuation fees: The cost of a valuation depends on the valuer you choose. Always check with them. We have an experienced panel of RICS-accredited surveyors who offer competitive rates when you instruct them quoting ‘Latimer’.

View our panel professionals

Your valuation will only be valid for three months. If you don’t complete your staircasing by then, you’ll need to pay for an updated one.

Should your post code not be covered by the surveyors on our panel you can visit the RICS website to find an independent RICS-registered surveyor in your area. They'll need to ensure the report provides the following information:

  • Confirmation that the report is a market valuation for the purpose of staircasing through Clarion Housing, Level 6, 6 More London Place, Tooley Street, London, SE1 2DA.
  • Confirmation that Clarion Housing Group can rely upon the contents of the report.
  • Evidence of at least three comparable properties detailing the full address, sold price and date.
  • If you have carried out home improvements, the report must include two figures; one figure with home improvements and one figure excluding home improvements.
  • Confirmation that valuation will remain valid for three months from the date of report.

Solicitors fees: You’ll need a solicitor to act for you. Their fees will vary depending on who you choose and how complex your transaction is.  

We have an experienced panel of solicitors, with lots of experience in shared ownership. You don’t have to use one of our panel, but we strongly recommend making sure that whoever you choose has experience with shared ownership.

View our panel professionals

Our administration fee: We’ll charge an administration fee, which we’ll collect on completion of your staircasing instruction. 

If you don’t go ahead, but if we've already begun issuing legal documentation, you'll be liable to pay a cancellation fee.

View our administration fees table

Mortgage fees: If you're re-mortgaging to pay for your shares your lender will likely charge a fee. A mortgage broker may also charge you for their assistance.

Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT): This is a government tax which may be payable. If you opted to pay full SDLT when you first bought your home you won’t pay anything further. If you paid SDLT only on the share you bought, then further SDLT may apply. Your solicitor can tell you if you'll need to pay and how much. You can also visit for the latest guidelines on stamp duty in relation to shared ownership.

View our stamp duty page

Staircasing FAQs

Four steps to working out your new rent

  • Step 1 - decide how much you want to buy
    Let's say you currently own 25% and pay £800 rent but you want to buy another 25%. This means your unowned share will decrease from 75% to 50%.
  • Step 2  - divide by your previous unowned share
    Divide your new unowned share of 50% by your previous unowned share. In this example, the equation would be 50 ÷ 75.
  • Step 3 - multiply by your current monthly rent
    First, divide the result by the amount of rent you pay. For the purpose of this example, the rent is £800: 50 ÷ 75 x 800 = 533.33
  • Step 4 - review your new monthly rent
    Your new monthly rent would be £533.33.
Remember, rent is reviewed every April. All calculations will be subject to this.