Skip to content
Communal space at Noma

EWS1 (external wall system) and mortgage information for leaseholders

Find out about External Wall System (EWS) forms. Some lenders may require EWS1 certification before they’ll offer a mortgage.

Mortgage information for leaseholders living in apartment blocks

The EWS process, and resulting form, is a set way for a building owner to confirm that an external wall system on residential buildings has been assessed for safety by a suitable expert, in line with government guidance. The EWS1 process delivers assurance for lenders, valuers, residents, buyers and sellers. The process was developed through extensive consultation with a wide range of stakeholders including fire engineers, lenders, insurers, valuers, and other cross industry representatives.

EWS1 forms aren't a legal requirement, but some lenders require one before they’ll offer a mortgage.

Each case is unique, and some lenders will also have their own criteria for what's acceptable as proof. That may be an EWS1 certificate, or a different type of documentation. Your building will likely have to be inspected to provide the information they need. It may be possible to secure a mortgage without an EWS1 form.

We would always recommend speaking to your mortgage lender or mortgage broker if you are unsure about the EWS1 requirements for your home.